- Early in 1911, District Superintendent D. G. Murray transferred 29 Methodists out of the discontinued Federated Organizational Church to Wesley. The alert trustees of Wesley were highly encouraged and found a new location on Northwest 25th and Classen Boulevard where a site was purchased for $600, and a new church was built: “the sheep shed”. The first church service held there was in August 13, 1911.
- Also, in early 1911, officers were elected and the name “Wesley” was adopted at the suggestion of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Bradshaw.
- 1911. Wesley legally organized on January 27, 1911 under the name of Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with the signees: R. E. Bradshaw, J. M. Smith, Edwin Stephenson, H. B. Turner and A. H. Tyler. Wesley had 136 members by that time.
- February 6, 1922 . Dean C. Dutton, Minister, reported to the that building facilities be planned for a Sunday School
- On October 12, 1924 , Folsom Jackson was employed as the first formal choir director.
- 1927-28. new building was erected with a total cost of $128,447:
- Educational Unit — Ground broken June 7, 1926 —occupied January 9, 1927 .
- Sanctuary Unit — Ground broken July 10, 1927 —dedicated May 20, 1928 .
In May of 1928, with a congregation over 1,000 members, the new Gothic style brick sanctuary was dedicated. It featured numerous memorial stained glass windows, the use of many Christian symbols and mirrored the classic sacred architecture dating to the middle ages. A tall Celtic cross adorns the pinnacle of the east facing front of the sanctuary.
The new church featured an organ and an impressive emphasis on the finest of classical and Christian music through the years. Over the years, numerous community leaders, authors, scholars, and visionaries attended or gave their support to the ongoing work and ministry of Wesley Methodist Church. Among them are several Presidents of Oklahoma City University, members of the faculty there and one pastor who became Mayor of Oklahoma City.
In the 1930’s there was opened a Route 66 loop that passed the church along Classen Blvd. and Wesley joined the noted “Milk Bottle Building” and the “Gold Dome” as sights along the loop.
In 2006, with the establishment of the new Asian Cultural District, Wesley became a link from the areas dynamic historical districts and its Route 66 history to a vital future enlarged by the addition of many, many cultures in the community.